Chicken & Black Bean Tortilla Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced, or half green and half red
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups chicken or veg broth
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups dried black beans
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp dried parsley or other desired herbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
- 1 lb skinless chicken breasts
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2" x 1" strips (or 12 tortilla chips, crushed)
- Juice of 1 lime (about 2 Tbsp)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- In large stockpot, sautee onion, peppers & garlic in olive oil.
- Add diced tomatoes, broth, water, black beans, herbs & spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add chicken pieces and simmer for another hour and a half.
- Remove chicken pieces from soup and shred with a fork. Return chicken to pot, along with tortilla strips and lime juice. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in chopped cilantro and salt & pepper (if needed).
- Serve with sour cream and warm tortillas.
© 2005, 2007 by Julie M. Carter